August 20, 2014

MTV Video Music Awards Fashion Spotlight



With the VMA's coming up this Sunday, I thought it would be a cool idea to shine a sartorial spotlight on three of my favorite nominees: Sia, Charli XCX, and Lorde.

Sia is a bit of a mystery both in her music and her fashion. She doesn't seem to dress too out there, but she doesn't seem like a big trend follower either. I really like this printed black and white silk/wool shirt dress from Victoria by Victoria Beckham for her because of the silhouette of the girl on it. It makes the dress a bit dramatic, but the black and white keeps it toned down. She'd probably go for a simple boot, like these Pull and Bear ones. Accessories would be minimal, so instead she would opt for this black Alessi watch and white Givenchy clutch; the white of the clutch helping it stand out from the rest of the ensemble. Also, because she prefers to sing with her back to the audience as to not take attention away from the music, a paper bag to put over her head; much like she did for her Billboard magazine cover.

Charli XCX is a wildcard when it comes to fashion. She could, and can, wear anything and it look amazing on her. I can see her pairing this cropped Mickey Mouse sweatshirt from Forever 21 with distressed J Brand boyfriend fit jeans. If she chose to roll the cuffs of the jeans, these peep toe boots from Topshop would be perfect. I think she would be a fan of large circular sunglasses, and a small crossbody bag like this one from Celine would round out the ensemble.

I have no shame in admitting that I have a girl crush on Lorde. She speaks her mind and could not care less whether you agree with her or not. Her style, ever evolving, is what I would describe as dressy, goth, grunge; but this is mostly when she's performing. On an off day, she would probably stick to basic items like this sweatshirt crop top from H & M. She's shown a preference for high waisted pants and rings, so she'd probably love these high waisted jeans from The Ragged Priest and this set of rings from Asos. With footwear, she leans towards chunky heels/soles, but I personally would love to see her with a pair of Vans. When I originally made this set, I was listening to the Tennis Court EP so I added a Chanel tennis racket set and some circular sunglasses from Pretty Green for fun.

I'm thinking I might try to do more posts like this. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment