July 16, 2014

Idle Thought: Childish Gambino's Camp and Because the Internet Album's and How/If They're Connected


In a couple of past posts, I've mentioned how I've started listening to Childish Gambino's Because the Internet album again. A few nights ago I decided to listen to his first album, Camp, and Because the Internet back to back while I was working on a collage and I think I've stumbled onto something really interesting.

In the screenplay that accompanied Because the Internet, the main character is called "The Boy" and everything starts with him getting off the bus from camp and driving home with his dad. I feel like the Camp album is actually a lead in to Because the Internet because it tells the back story of "The Boy". The last song on Camp, "That Power", has a really long spoken monologue at the end of it where he's talking about how he doesn't think he's ever really gotten off the bus coming back from camp. Because of all the things that he's experienced in the past, "The Boy" becomes very cynical about life, which is then expressed in (drum roll please) Because the Internet. I'm not sure if the two albums were intended to be connected by a central character or if I'm just late in figuring this out, but I think it's a pretty genius idea and once again I am blown away by Childish Gambino's creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment