June 27, 2014

Good Listener: Songs of the Week



I've found my breakup song for whenever that dreaded first heartbreak comes. In an ode to failed love, Haim's funky alterna-rock track "If I Could Change Your Mind" will have you dancing through your tears.



Never have I seen a music video compliment a song so well and Sia's unique, raspy voice shines in "Chandelier". You can feel the emotion in every word sung, and the dancer in the video (Maddie Ziegler from Dance Moms) interprets the song with her body, demonstrating technique and discipline way beyond her years.



One of the things that I love about Bastille is the way that their lyrics are written like stories so you can picture everything in your head. "Poet" is my favorite song from Bad Blood, and it tells the story of being so consumed by love for someone that you create your own love story in your head. As a writer, I can definitely relate to this.



Surf punk, to me, sounds best in the summer. Best Coast is my go-to band because because of their smooth melodies and lyrics so catchy that you really can't help but to sing along. If you close your eyes while listening to "Our Deal" you might just transport yourself to a beach hidden deep in your subconscious (but if you want to watch the "West Side Story" themed video, that's cool too).

No comments:

Post a Comment