December 16, 2017

Top Artists of 2017


2017 was a pretty good year for music. Many of my favorite musicians came back with new projects with some being just what I expected and others a pleasant surprise. Instead of making a list of my favorite songs from this year, I thought I’d highlight my favorite artists and the projects that they put out.

Lana Del Rey "Lust For Life"


When Lana released “Love”, the first single off of the album, many fans were surprised at how it was almost a complete 180 from her usual sound. Whereas her older albums had a more melancholy, sad girl-bad girl vibe, Lust For Life is more thought-provoking and…happier? Don’t get me wrong, she stays true to her aesthetic with songs like 13 Beaches but you can’t help but vibe with the album’s title track featuring The Weeknd. The album also features some hip-hop influences, particularly in Summer Bummer featuring A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti. 

Lorde "Melodrama"


I think I was most excited for Lorde’s follow-up to Pure Heroine and she did not disappoint. Pure Heroine introduced us to a new style of pop music and quickly became an international success. As much as I want to find the similarities between Melodrama and Pure Heroine, I can’t. Melodrama truly displays her growth as an artist and a songwriter and she lays herself out on every track with the vulnerability that drips from every track. I’ve just now gotten to the point where I can listen to Liability without tearing up.

Whether it was intentional or not, I love that she ended the album with Perfect Places. It’s a punctuation mark of contentment.

Frank Ocean


I hesitated to put Frank on this list because he hasn’t exactly released a full body of work, but the few songs that he has released cause a media frenzy. The omnipresent artist thing is cool and all, but I’m in desperate need of a new album from him. 

I have to start off with Chanel because anyone who knows me will vouch for my obsession with this song. I kind you not, I have listened to this song multiple times every day since its release in March. The refrain “see both sides like Chanel” even has people rallying around it, claiming it as a bisexual anthem. 

Then there was Biking featuring Jay-Z and Tyler, the Creator with very contemplative and beautiful lyrics on Frank’s part. Lens and Provider were also great singles, but (besides Chanel) my favorite Frank single of the year is Slide with Calvin Harris and Migos. It’s truly the funk, hip-hop track of my dreams. 

SZA "Ctrl"


I was extremely late to the SZA train because I didn’t get around to listening to Ctrl until November. The undertones of self-love and acceptance, while at the same time dogging out every guy that’s ever done her wrong, all sung in the style of a contemporary jazz singer is a just the perfect combination. Her explicit, unfiltered vulnerability exhibited in songs like Supermodel and Drew Barrymore are what really stick with me and keep me listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment