December 1, 2017



To say that I love Christmas would be an understatement. The halls are decked to the nines, bells are doing their jingling thing, kids are unusually well behaved, and there’s a genuine feeling of kindness and love in the air. But the best thing about the holidays would have to be the music. Nothing encompasses the spirit of a season better than music. Here are a few of my favs.

Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney

Music from the seventies and eighties music, for me, are hit or miss (mostly miss), but this one has a special place in my heart. I love the Beatles, Paul, and Christmas. Therefore, my love for this song is a given.

Christmas Time Is Here - Lee Mendelson, Vince Guaraldi Trio

The Charlie Brown Christmas special is my favorite special of all time, no doubt. There’s just something about hearing the kids singing and affirming that the holiday season has arrived that gets me so excited. I’ll usually share a link to it through social media the day after Thanksgiving because let’s be real: December should start right after Thanksgiving Day.

Baby, It’s Cold Outside - Idina Menzel, Michael Buble

A jazzy classic, perfect for sitting by the fireside with a guy that’s insisting that you not leave his house. Yes, the overall storyline of the song is very (extremely) creepy, but somehow I end up singing it to myself every year as I’m dragging myself out the door into the cold towards my classes.

Happy Christmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Harlem Children's Choir

Another Christmas song from another Beatle. Released in the 70s as a protest song against the Vietnam War, it has since been in steady rotation as a holiday classic. Fun Fact: the song’s melody comes from the traditional English song “Skewball.”

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Sam Smith

I never loved this song more than I did when I first heard Sam Smith sing it. It starts off with just his vocals and the piano slowly trickles in. He sings with such heart and sincerity that it the song really does come off as a sincere salutation.

Someday At Christmas - Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder is one of my favorite musicians, yet out of all the songs in his discography, this one has a special place in my heart. It’s a wish: for dreams to come true, for good fortune, love, joy, and peace for all. I think it’s a song that everyone that everyone can sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment