May 21, 2016

Guilty Pleasures (Songs)

I'm incredibly passionate about music. When I hear a song that I identify with, it keeps playing in my soul while my brain is trying to learn the lyrics. I'll listen to pretty much anything except country (does Daddy Lessons by Beyonce count?), but occasionally I'll find myself sucked in by a song that I either originally didn't like. Or maybe a song that I love but my friends don't. I guess you could say that the following are guilty pleasures.



To say I absolutely hated this song when it first came out would an understatement. But with a thirteen year old little sister who loves anything on the Top 40 and a room next door to mine, I heard this song quite a bit. Eventually I started humming it, absentmindedly bobbing my head to it in my car, and the rest as they say is history. Fifth Harmony I don't know all your names, but dammit you all can make a hit.



As much as I dislike Justin Bieber, I cannot deny that this song is an absolute bop. The music video is so incredibly simple, but it has everything that I love: on pointe (see what I did there) dancing, killer dancing thanks to choreographer extraordinaire Paris Goebel and her dance crew, and despite being about a breakup and it's just a fun song.


This. Song. Goes. So. Hard. In the tamest way possible. What isn't to love? The reggae undertones, the lyrics being about a girl who's having the time of her life while her ex is sitting there salty about it, DRAKE DANCING?!?!?!? I never fail to sing along to this song when I comes on and I do so with a smile on my face. Most of my friends could care less about it, and I have one friend that refuses to listen to it. It's not necessarily a happy song, but it always makes me happy. And that's what music is supposed to do right?



Video Games was my gateway drug into the world of Lana Del Rey and I haven't been the same since. I found her the second semester of my sophomore year of high school and was just in complete awe of her. She was retro, edgy, and I wanted to be her best friend. Some of my friends can't stand the fact that all of her songs sound so sad (not ALL of them are sad, there are a few upbeat ones) but I'm so convinced that she is a magical, poetic vixen.



Literally anything that Pharrell Williams touches turns to gold. He's a hitmaker and musical genius, plain and simple. When "Happy" first came out as the theme for Despicable Me 2, I was so on board with it. I'd been dealing with depression since middle school and at first the song would annoy me, but soon it actually helped perk me up when I was down or having a particularly bad day. It's such a positive song and you can just see the love and care that went into making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment