May 13, 2017

Disappointing Books and Summer Goals

Classes are over, summer is here, and I have an abundance of time on my hands. So guess what that means? More blog posts!!!

I'll be completely honest, not much has been going on in the Wonderful World of Jasmyne but as the summer goes on that will change. This previous school year has to have been my most challenging one yet, so I'm hoping that my senior year will be a bit easier (despite the fact that I'm taking a whopping 19 hours in the fall, yay). As of right now, my main thing is finding a summer job (which is damn near impossible, I might add) and dipping my toes into the world of freelance journalism. So far so good: I have an interview scheduled for next Monday and I've joined a really great group on Facebook for female freelance writers like myself where we share tips, tricks, and opportunities.

I've been home since I moved out of my dorm last Thursday, which was a little emotional for me. I'll be living off-campus in the fall in a house walking distance from my university and as excited as I am, I couldn't fight off the feelings of nostalgia as I packed (or rather heaved) everything into my small Mazda. I would highly recommend living on campus for anyone getting ready to attend college because it gives you the opportunity to get more plugged into everything your campus has to offer easier. 

I've been in a mental tug of war with myself over a book that I've been trying to read called "How To Build A Girl." I'm not sure if it's just me not understanding the humor or the fact that the book relies solely on humor to tell the story, but I just can't seem to stomach it. It's bad joke, after bad joke, after bad joke; which is really disappointing because the book has generally positive reviews. 

I was about halfway through with the book when I shamelessly gave up, so now I have about three more weeks to read two full novels. It's part of my summer challenge for myself to read at least two novels a month, since I don't have the time to read as much as I would like during the school year. It's one of just a few goals that I've set for myself for this summer along with beginning guitar, blogging regularly, spending more time with my sister, working on photography, etc.

To say that this break is much needed would be an understatement. I'm definitely looking forward to all the adventures, but first, I think a long nap is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment